Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Two Slightly Unconventional Positions On Election Day

Make Election Day A National Holiday

This, to me, continues to be one of the stupidest and most frustrating things in America. How is Election Day not a National Holiday? Voting is (supposedly) one of our greatest rights and one of America's greatest claims to fame; we can't have it be a day off to make sure everyone has a chance to particpate? Wouldn't our Presidents gladly give up a holiday for themselves for eveyone to participate in and then celebrate the Right To Vote? Wouldn't MLK support that as well? And for God's sake, does anyone not in the banking business or post office even know when Columbus Day is? No one even likes Columbus anymore!

This is a travesty. Please, give everyone the oppoturnity to vote, and the chance to celebrate one of our greatest rights. Let's make Election Day a National Holiday

**********************************************************************************

Everyone Vote...If You've Done You're Homework

As my previous point above shows, I most certainly believe in the right of every American to vote, and of course who am I to argue with "Vote or Die, Mother Fuckers". That being said...I still want/expect Americans to act responsibly.

Do your homework people. I'm not asking you to be experts, but have at least a fair idea of where candidates stand on major issues. Thanks to the miracle of the internet, it's easy in this day and age to have a working knowledge of the candidates you are asked to vote on. No voting for Clinton because you think he's cute, Bush because he owned the Rangers, or Obama because he's black, and for God's sake please just don't vote based on party lines. Please, take a few minutes, become an informed voter, familiarize yourself with the two candidates, and cast an educated ballot.

The world will be a better place if you do.

***********************************************************************************

Happy Election Day! God Bless America!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Ryan Claborn said...

Not sure I'm totally with you on point one. Nearly every state has a law that guarantees between 1 and 3 hours of leave to workers to go and vote. I'm not sure we need to give up an entire day when many can vote in a matter of a few minutes.

I'd rather see us find more efficient ways of conducting the voting process (I was shocked at the inefficiency of what I saw here in Missourah yesterday) so we don't have to create another holiday - that realistically just means we have to make up the work later.

To me there needs to be a price to be paid to vote - meaning, we should have to go at least slightly out of our way - so that we don't lose sight of the privilege that it is. Maybe having to get up early or spend part of a lunch break is a sacrifice we need to be willing to make.

I also found myself reminding myself of those who have fought wars to defend our rights (voting among them) as I stood outside early yesterday morning waiting to get to vote.

Totally with you on point 2.

7:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If election day was a holiday, I bet there would be fewer voters. I think you would be surprised at the number of people that would take a vacation over voting.

Seriously, if you took off from Nov. 4- Dec. 1, most people would have a 27-day vacation only using up 14-15 days of leave. That's like living in France.

Bo

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Early voting and absentee voting are both nice alternatives to standing in line for 1-3 hours on election day. I was in line for about 25 minutes to early vote.

If election day were a holiday, would you get the preceding Monday off as well? If that were the case, I'd be okay with election-holiday. I'd absentee or early vote and then have a nice long 4-day weekend.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home