Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Next Cartoon Movies

I received a fantastic email this morning. My good friend and avid reader Ben sent me this site. I'm sure that the concept--what popular 80's cartoon would make a good modern movie--surprises no one in that it's right up my alley. So here's my list, in reverse order, not including He-Man as I do count the Dolph Lungren movie as a real movie:














5: Zoids & Visionaries: Knights Of The Magical Light
Had to go with a tie on this one. Both are enjoyable cartoons/toys from my youth, but both have flaws. First, I think that Zoids are too similiar to Transformers to get their own flick; their only hope would be a hack makes a cheap flick and hopes to draw some of the Transformer's crowd. Wait, I just gave Uwe Boll an idea. Forget I said that.

Visionaries, on the other hand, was a cool concept that just didn't catch on enough to warrant their own movie. I always liked the toys and concept, though, even if they were similar to He-Man. I'd be happy to see this movie made, but it probably won't happen.



4. Silverhawks
Silverhawks was a fantastic cartoon that was a sequal, of sorts, to Thundercats. It starred the same voice talent and many of the characters were similar. I loved this cartoon and the toys that went with it, and with the acceptance of SciFi in today's culture I think this would make a great flick. However, it probably wasn't quite mainstream popular enough to warrant it's own movie. A shame, though: I liked this cartoon better than Thundercats.


3. M.A.S.K.
M.A.S.K. is probably one of the most commonly brought up "I can't believe they haven't re-released these guys" toys from the 80's--Penny Arcade even references M.A.SK. in one of their comics. This would also be fairly easy to do with human actors. I think that they will re-release the toy line before they do a movie, but if they ever do roll out the toys once again, it probably won't be too long before a movie follows that.


2. Voltron
Honestly, the only reason I think that no one has made a Voltron movie is that they're worried that kids will realize that Power Rangers is a modern, pusified version of Voltron. Undeniably one of the greatest cartoons of all time, the Voltron toys have already been re-released in several different forms; I'm proud to own one of the authentic replicas (made of metal, not just plastic crap). The success of Transformers should mean that this should be a movie within the next three years.


1. Thundercats
If GI Joe meets with even moderate success, I don't see how Thundercats isn't made into a movie. Unquestionably one of the top five cartoons of the 80's, I wasn't all that surprised to see that there is a Thundercats cartoon movie--in the line of Cartoon Network's redo of He-Man--coming in 2010. If that has good success, which if it's halfway decent it undoubtly will, I can't see a live action movie not being made. Hell, if we could do Planet of the Apes, we can easily do Thundercats.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home