Thursday, May 12, 2005

What a game!

In case you haven't figured it out, the "This is my favorite time of year" refers to the NBA playoffs. It's spring moving into summer, girls start wearing nothing, all the outdoor sports like softball and volleyball start up, people start taking vacations and have time to do fun things, and there's basketball on every night. GREAT basketball. NBA Playoff basketball. The best in the world.

The Mavs game last night was incredible. I couldn't believe how I felt at the end of the game; my stomach was literally in knots. I haven't been this worried about the Mavs winning a game since 1993, when I was terrified the Mavs would not beat the Timberwolves on the last day of the season and would tie the NBA record for fewest wins ever. I REALLY like this Mavs team, and REALLY want them to win. And what a great game for both teams. Wow!

Congratulations to Erick Dampier. Sure, he's a little bitch, and only plays hard when he's publicly embarrassed. But Dirk did the right thing by publicly embarrassing him, because he finally turned in a good game. 15 points on 7 of 8 shooting, along with 12 rebounds (7 offensive). Now it's Dirk's turn to be challenged. His stat line isn't bad...23 points, 8-18 shooting, 12 rebounds, a couple of blocks. He disappeared in the fourth quarter, however. The only shot he hit was the eventual game winner...and I believe he only attempted 4 shots in the quarter. He needs to step it up and start playing like the star he is...like the star he played like in the regular season. It wasn't a bad game for him, but it wasn't a good one.

Michael Finley was unbelievable. Un fricking believable. 31 points on 12 of 18 shooting, with 6 rebounds and 5 assists, and--I can't believe I'm writing this--he played GREAT defense on Amare Stoudemire. An incredible performance from Finley. He probably won't hit another jumper in the playoffs, but he couldn't miss last night. Thank you for stepping up when we needed you Mike! Your shot selection still sucks, but when you're as hot as you were last night, it's all good.

I'm sorry that Joe Johnson got hurt, but the "flagrant" foul that Jerry Stackhouse picked up on him at the end of the first half was not a flagrant foul, or a dirty play. Hell, it looked like a clean block on the replay. We don't need to dwell on it; I'm not mad at the refs for making that call. They're human, and refs will call a collision like that flagrant 9 times out of 10. But no talk about the Mavs being dirty from Suns fans or the media, please.

It's too bad that he's out, though, because that really hurts the Suns. I don't want to win against a depleted Suns team; I want to see how we do against the real deal. Good for you Joe for hitting one of those free throws, that was really impressive. I hope you come back quickly.

Congratulations Mavs. I love all the knee jerking the media does with this team. People, this is a savvy, veteran team that knows how to win. They know how to play when their backs are against the wall, and they know a must win when they see one. There are a lot of playoff youngsters on this team, and I think that eventually that will keep them from winning it all, but do not count this team out. They're too good, too smart, and been there too many times to go out like little bitches, which is what the media keeps wanting to say about them. Hey, I got worried after the first Houston game, too, but they reminded me that they've been there, done that. Let's everyone else learn, too.

Go Mavs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home