Tuesday, April 12, 2005

The NBA Draft

Well, college basketball is over with. I don't know about the rest of you, but to me this was a very uninteresting season. OSU did not reach expectations as a team (they were good, but I thought they would be better), no team really...I don't know, stepped up and impressed me. I mean, there were some great teams, no question. But let's be honest people, in ten years, when you think of great NCAA tournaments and teams in recent years, will you think of this one, or any of these teams? I didn't think so.

Anyway, here's my thoughts on several "name" players. This isn't my pick of the best players, or of where they'll be drafted; it's just players that we either here a lot about, or that I have some interest in, or that I think you, o dear reader, might have some interest in, and how they will do in the NBA.

Sean May, F/C, UNC: He could be either the next Charles Barkely, or the next Brian Williams. And that is high praise on the high end, and Sir Charles is my second favorite player of all time. He DOMINATED the NCAA tournament. However, he can be lazy. Running back on defense is not his strong suit. However...didn't people say the exact same thing about Barkely? He needs to go to a team with a strong veteran leader, because he needs to be pushed. If he is pushed, he could be great.

Deron Williams, PG, Illinois: Even though he wasn't great in the championship game, he had a great tournament. Damn near singlehandedly won the Arizona game for AZ. I think he's going to be a great pro. Sure, he's not the quickest guy in the world, but neither is Jason Kidd. That's right people...Jason Kidd is FAST, in that he can run up and down the court in a short amount of time. However, when it comes to being QUICK, as in having really fast cuts, crossovers, etc., Kidd isn't that great. Same with Williams. But he's a great shooter, as strong as an ox, a great point, and a smart player. And he's clutch.

Chris Paul, PG, Wake Forest: Described as T.J. Ford with a jumper, and I like that comparison. He's quick, he's a great point, and he can shoot. He's going to be an awesome point.

Marvin Williams, F, UNC: Everyone loves Marvin Williams, and I understand why. He has great skills, and a fantastic body. Buttttttttttt...there's something about him that worries me. I can't put my finger on it, but there's just something about him that makes me want to say to all these analysts that he's going to be an All Star to slow down. He didn't have a good tournament, and I understand that having him be the "6th" man was just a bit Roy Williams was playing, but I just never saw the greatness that I feel like people are already putting on him. He has incredible potential, and SHOULD be an All Star, but he's my pick for the "player who is can't miss who will miss." That being said, he'll be a top 3 pick. I just hope he realizes that while he's got a ton of potential/talent, he's also still got a TON to learn.

Raymond Felton, PG, UNC: We've talked before about my "law of averages". That is, that things aren't spaced out evenly, but happen in clumps. Well, the NBA is WAY overdue to have a clump of good point guards, and they finally have some. Felton proved this season that he can shoot. If he keeps working at that, he's going to be awesome. He's super quick, and has great court vision. He kept all the gunners at UNC happy, and that says something. I think he's going to be an outstanding NBA point guard. You'd kind of figure that one of the big "name" points would fail, but I just can't see which. I like all three.

Rashad McCants, SG, UNC: Rashad, save every penny, because you suck. You will be out of the NBA in three years. You're not any good, and you think you're the shit. I'm excited about seeing him fail, cause he's such an ass.

Gerald Green, SG, HS: The SG class this year SUCKS. Not just sucks a little, I mean we're talking Blade II sucks here. Gerald Green is by far the best SG prospect. I have some SERIOUS questions about him. He's got tons of talent, true. But people are already comparing him to TMac, which is HEFTY praise, and he already has a problem with "working hard", as in he doesn't do it. His best hope is that he slides to the mid or late first round, goes to a good to decent team that doesn't need him right away, and he gets some vets who will teach him how to play and work, and won't let him be lazy. You just never know with High Schoolers.

Danny Granger, SG, New Mexico: I think he's going to be this years Paul Pierce Memorial, "Holy Shit, he didn't get drafted until WHEN?" Award winner. He's got a fantastic body, great skill set, fierce drive, and is a hard worker. He's going to be great someday, and nobody knows it, because he's playing in New Mexico, so no one has ever heard of him. I mean, what good has ever come out of New Mexico? HAHAHA, just kidding Halley, I love ya.

Francisco Garcia, SG/SF, Louisville: I'm sorry, but I don't see Garcia doing shit in the NBA. He's an above average player, true. But he is a turtle. That's right, in big games, pressure situations, or against top opponents, he drops into his shell and disappears. He's got a nice stroke, so he might hang around for a few years, as a poor man's Eddie Jones. But that's a best case scenario.

Joey Graham, SG/SF, OSU: I'm sorry, but I just don't see it happening with Joey. He's INCREDIBLY strong, and has good potential, but he's not quick enough, can't shoot well enough, and doesn't have the handle to be a 2, and he's not tall enough to play the three (and maybe not quick enough, either). I really expected him to take it to another level (I need to come up with a phrase for that; Up A Level? Does that work for you guys? Feedback please!) this year, and he didn't. His jumper needs a lot of work, and he doesn't have a real move. You know, a really good, damn near unstoppable move that he can score off of. At best, I think he'll be a poor man's Corliss Williamson.

Andrew Bogut, PF, Utah: LOL. Whenever a 7' white player is listed as a power forward and not a center, well, that's not a good sign. He's another in a long line of stiffs. If he reaches Chris Mihm status, he'll have exceeded my expectations.

Ivan McFarlin, PF, OSU: IMac is the reason for this article; several friends have asked me what I think about him. He had a great Chicago camp, which is good. I just don't see him making it in the NBA though. I like him a lot, and I admire him. He's not a prototypical power forward, but he knows his strengths and weaknesses, and he has a great head for the game, and does what he's good at, and doesn't get pressured into doing what he's not good at. He is just so damn small though! He doesn't have the skills to play small forward at all, and he just is not strong or tall enough to play power forward. He's smart though; if anyone can find a way, it will be him, and I'd definitely like to be wrong about this prediction.

Man, it's been a long time since we've had an NBA column! This felt great. If you want to know my opinion on another player, just drop it in the comments, and I'll answer. Of course, your opinions on anything and everything are more than welcome there.

One more thing: Thanks to Tim for providing me with an ESPN Insider pass, so I can read Chad Ford's stuff and confirm my previous thoughts on him: he's an idiot who doesn't deserve to be asking people to pay for his columns. Of all the people in the world, how is he working for ESPN? Let me put it to you this way: this guy is STILL insisting that Darko will be a great player. Wow.

Have a great day everyone!

4 Comments:

Blogger Michael Pondrom said...

That implies he's a ten, which he's not.

Good idea though...keep em coming.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Bo said...

First, let me just say that I thought it was a pretty good year for college basketball and a better than average tournament. I also think that West Virginia's run in the tournament was better than the one that put Gonzaga on the map a few years ago. Thats the hottest, I think I have ever seen a college team shooting 3's.

Sean May--I don't think he will ever be as good as Barkely. He could be a consistent scorer rebounder more in the Elton Brand mold (if he works hard).

Deron Williams--I think the Kidd analogy is great. A Barkely analogy wouldn't be bad either; this guy doesn't look like a prototypical point, but he sure plays like it.

Chris Paul--Not my favorite player, but should be good.

Marvin Williams--A very solid player, especially for a freshman, but NBA guys usually dominate and he just doesn't seem to dominate.

Bogut--I figure he'll be kinda like Chris Kaman (Clippers). I do think he has the upside to possibly be a Rik Smits kinda player.

Imac--If some of these other players had his heart...(sounds like the movie "Rudy") Unfortunately, heart doesn't usually cut it in the NBA. Best case scenario, a Bo Outlaw career.

Joey Graham--A true tweener. I like the Corliss Williamson analogy. Unlike Corliss, though, Graham does not have that killer instinct/win at all costs thing going.

John Lucas---hahaahahahahahah

Ronald Ross--A nice little mid-range game. Can shoot 3's, solid defense. Can he be a good enough passer to be a point and floor general? I think he could do it. I think he could play a nice backup PG ala Avery Johnson. I don't think I would draft him, but I might invite him to my summer camp. What are your thoughts, Mike?

Aaron Miles--about as productive as a college point can be. I don't know what that translate to in the NBA. Mike?

As you can see, I watch mostly big12 basketball.

Lawrence Roberts--this guy lost so much money this year it isn't funny. Really! He's the classic example of why underclassmen and high schoolers should leave early.

I love talking about drafts. Mike, I now want a post outlining the needs of NBA teams. I am of the opinion that NBA teams tend to draft too much on upside/potential and talent, and not enough on filling team needs.
(i.e. Knicks having 20 bazillion PF's and yet drafting more??)(Mavs drafting guards when they need inside defense??)

8:28 AM  
Blogger Bo said...

Have we done the "age limit" thing?

I forget. What did you think of Jermaine O'Neal's comments about an age limit being racism?

Here's my thoughts. I don't think its racist per se, because an age limit will probably not increase or decrease the percentages of whites or blacks in the NBA. It is ageist, though, if thats a word. I agree with O'Neal in that if you can work at McDonalds or go to war, you should be able to get a job in the NBA. Now if they required that you have a degree, thats different. Doctors and lawyers have to have degrees and certifications to work.

If Stern wants to increase the quality of play in the NBA, I think he should implement a better way of training players (i.e. farm system). Its obvious that NCAA basketball is not a great training ground for the NBA. The NBA injured list is not good either. I think the NBA should build a more viable farm system. At the least, I think the NBA should change the roster size limit to 14 instead of 12. It might cost a little more. This would give more teams the chance to hang on to that guy "with some talent" and give him a little time and experience. Instead of 10 days to evaluate a guy, a team can take a little longer and see just what they have.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Michael Pondrom said...

Wow. A lot to cover. Bo, I don't even know who Ronald Ross is. I can maybe see Miles getting drafted at the end of the second round, but that's a best case scenario. I haven't heard his name in any draft stuff, and he's never wowed me.

I totally agree with you about Roberts. A LOT of coming out is momentum...a lot of players overestimate their skill level, and need to come out after a good season and cash in. He should have done that last year and didn't.

EXCELLENT idea of a needs post. I'll do that after the season is over...not playoffs probably, just regular season. We have to talk about Unions next.

No offense to Jermaine, who I watched on espn, and he said he was kind of misquoted, but that is just dumb. Write this down people: THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO RACISM AT ALL IN THE NBA. None. None with players, coaches, GMs, and owners. The NBA bows to one thing: money. I can give a longer answer to this, and maybe I will if this debate really picks up. In fact, I will, because I don't think the NBA needs an age limit anymore. More on this later.

Nick...LOL, I like the Julius Hodge reference--he's too old to play in the NBA though ;-)

I don't totally disagree with you about Paul...I really think one of the Big Three points has to fail, I just don't know which.

Michael

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home