Thursday, April 07, 2005

God I love Bo Jackson

So I haven't really touched on the steroids scandal, and there's a reason: it's cause I don't care. Yes, almost everyone in all pro sports juices, in some form or another. This isn't really shocking to anybody.

Moving on...God I love Bo Jackson.

Bo has always been one of my favorite athletes of all time, and I consider to be one of--if not THE--greatest athletes of all time. This man had it all: he was incredibly strong, blindingly fast, shockingly quick, and could jump ridiculously high. He also had a sense of grace, a...smoothness that all the great ones have. Whether it was breaking of incredible runs for the Raiders, or running UP the outfield wall to make a catch for the Royals, Bo was incredible to watch.

Bo also came off as a genuinely likeable, honest guy. He loved his mother deeply, and his bond with her was well documented. He was one of those guys who came off as a nice guy, and you wanted to believe that it wasn't an act.

So the steroid scandal comes along, and athletes are being accused right and left. And when it comes to thinking whether they are guilty or innocent, we all tend to feel the same way, and The Sports Guy had a good reason why (from his mailbag, where readers ask questions and he answers on his site):

If somebody writes a book and goes on "60 Minutes" and says, "I helped Bill Simmons plagiarize some articles when we were working together at The Crusader," wouldn't you file a lawsuit?
– Roby Butler, Arkansas

SG: In a heartbeat. Take Raffie Palmeiro, for instance. The guy has made a crazy amount of money over the course of his career, probably in the neighborhood of $50 to $60 million. We already know that Canseco is pretty much broke. So if Palmeiro was innocent, why not hire a high-powered attorney and blow Canseco out of the water? I would think that any of these wrongly-accused players would be reacting like Harrison Ford in "The Fugitive" right now – risking their lives to clear their names. And yet none of them has done anything. Makes you wonder.


Thanks Bill. And I totally agree, and I'm sure most of us do.

Well, we all remember what a great athlete Bo was, so of course, the inevitable steroids accusation came today. Here's a link to the article: Jackson accused of taking steroids.

Is that great or what? That's what we want to see from innocent players. We don't want the Gary Sheffield bullshit of, "I'd take a steroids test, but the Union won't let me." Fuck you, you're guilty. I don't want Mark McGwire's crap of "I'm here to talk about the future, not about the past." Fuck you asshole, you're guilty. If I'm accused of that, and I know I'm not guilty, I'm getting on national TV and saying, "You know what? Fuck all yall. I got where I am today by working my ass off, and using the physical gifts God gave me. Come test me, in public. Give me a blood test, check my body for needlemarks, take my fingerprints, fuck it: give me a pap smear. I don't care. I'll take it, and I'm suing the shit out of anyone who says otherwise, cause it's not true, and you're insulting my good name and reputation." So good for you Bo! Stand up for yourself. Because of how you've stood up for yourself, for the first time ever I'll say about an athlete accused of taking steroids: "I don't think Bo Jackson took steroids."

That's why you're one of the greatest ever Bo. Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home