Thursday, March 17, 2005

The Peterson Trial

So Scott Peterson has been sentenced to death. I really don't understand this trial, on several different levels. First, why was this trial such a big deal? Yes, it was terrible that a pregnant mother got killed. But unfortunately, that is not horribly uncommon in this day and age. It happens on Law & Order all the time. Why was this such a national story? I seriously think it was just a slow news day when this happened, so the media jumped on it and turned it into a national story. I'm not trying to be callous here, I'm just really confused as to why a double homicide of non-famous people became a national story.

Second, why did this trial take so long? Peterson was arrested April 18, 2003. It should have taken about 15 minutes to convict him. The guy is an idiot. He had motive and opportunity; he told the police about 4 different stories for his alibi; his mistress got him on tape all but admitting to the crime; he acts so creepy at the trial it's like he wants to get committed; there was a mountain of evidence against him. So why, two years later, is he finally getting the death penalty? I understand a little bit of a delay to try to find the murder weapon, but still this trial took ENTIRELY too long.

Back to the Scott Peterson is an idiot thing...wow. To begin with, if you're going to kill your wife, have an alibi. Even if it's a bad one, have it and stick with it. It's not a good thing to lie to the nice policemen. Next, trading the wife's SUV in...brilliant. I understand that you need to get rid of it, since, you know, you killed your wife, but do something subtle with it. Say it got stolen, drive it off a cliff, something. Don't publicly trade it in. Third, you need to lie to people. When the father calls and says, "Just tell me where my daughter's body is", don't sit there and say over and over again, "I'm sorry" in a totally unfeeling voice. Say, "I understand that you're distraught, but are you fucking kidding me? I loved your daughter more than you do! She was my wife! I would never harm her! When we find out who did this, there is nowhere on earth that person will be safe from me!" Also, when your pissed off mistress calls you irate and convinced that you killed your wife, have a similar sort of reaction to her. Don't respond with stony silence of "You need to calm down comments" when she says, "You fucking killed your wife, didn't you?" Especially when you have no idea if you are getting her on tape or not! And finally, the "I'm a stone faced, coldblooded killer look", which the only reason I'm assuming you did that in court was to impress the other guys on death row, doesn't usually go over with jurors. You know what I mean? Having no emotional attachment to the fact that YOUR WIFE AND ONLY CHILD were brutally murdered is not what us normal people would call "common".

And as for Amber Fey (the mistress)...good for you, honey! I don't know how you can be in a long term sexual relationship with a man and not know he's married, but when she found out, she went to town on him! I LOVE the recorded phone call! Way to try to do the right thing in the end.

So goodbye to Scott Peterson. Of course, it's going to be at least 10-15 years before he is sent packing since he's out in CALI-fornia, but at least he's moving in the right direction, at least justice has been served, and at least we don't have to hear about this case anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home