Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Thoughts on the NBA Season so far

What a fricking year. WHAT A GREAT SEASON!!!!!!! If the season is mediocre for the rest of the year, this will still be one of the best years since the mid 90s. Fantastic. Let's get going...

Pleasant surprises: Orlando Magic, Phoenix Suns, Seattle Supersonics, Dallas Mavericks

* Orlando Magic: Basically, everything that I said needed to go right for them has gone right. Grant Hill has been awesome, Dwight Howard is playing like a number one pick (at least in the high school day and age), and Stevie Franchise is reminding everyone why people used to call him Stevie Franchise. Let's face it: looking at how well Orlando is doing, and how poorly Houston is doing, can the media pundits just admit that they had Jeff Van Gundy overrated (ding!) as a coach? You coach to your talent, not to your system.

* Phoenix Suns: I knew the Suns would be this good, too, just not this early. They have been simply incredible. Steve Nash should probably be the league MVP, Amare is probably the second best power forward in the entire league, behind only KG, and Marion, Joe Johnson, and Q-Rich are all having career years. Yes, the Nash signing will hurt them salary cap wise years down the road, but it was EXACTLY what both Nash and the Suns needed. A great, well balanced team.

* Seattle Supersonics: I had them picked 14th. Holy God was I wrong. Now, I will say this: I agree with those critics who say the Sonics are not "for real". "For real" meaning that they aren't legit contenders for a championship. They're in the Mavericks category of "can beat anyone on any night, and scare any team in the league, but are a step below being a threat to win it all". I mean, they've been awesome, but let's face it: they are a jump shooting team. Some day those jumpers will stop falling. As Morpheus says, "It's not a matter of hope; for me, it's simply a matter of time." However, this team is still extremely well put together, with a legitimate superstar in Ray Allen, a guy who took the step to stardom (not superstardom--there is a difference) this season in the person of Rashard Lewis (why couldn't he have done this two years ago when I thought he would, and I had him on my fantasy league team?), and a great supporting cast who knows their roles and plays within their bonds. Not only are they good, but they are a fun team to watch. HOWEVER: remember basketball law number 1: if you live by the jumper, you die by the jumper. No team that lives by the jumper all season long will ever win an NBA championship. They're still a great team though.

* Dallas Mavericks: They got their own post, so I won't spend too much time here. Like the Suns (though they aren't as good as the Suns), I thought they would be this good, just not this soon. Kudos to Dirk again for having an MVP caliber season (won't it be funny if it comes down to him and Nash for MVP?). But like the Sonics: if you live by the jumper, you die by the jumper.

Let's not get too excited about these teams: Cleveland Cavaliers, Washington Wizards, Miami Heat, Denver Nuggets

* Cleveland Cavaliers: Lebron is amazing. Just unbelievably incredible. That being said...don't be too impressed with the Cavs being in second in the East. They still have Drew Gooden as their third best player. Yes, the East is that bad.

* Washington Wizards: Kudos for Larry Hughes finally starting to play up to his potential. Kudos to Jamison for being a leader and playing somewhat up to his potential. Kudos to Gilbert Arenas for continuing to play to his potential. That being said...it's the fricking East. Yes, the East is that bad.

* Miami Heat: Replace Lebron with Dwayne Wade, and replace Udonis Heslam with Drew Gooden, and read the Cavs description again. I mean, someone has to be in first place, right? Yes, the East is that bad (get the point?).

* Denver Nuggets: This is don't get too excited in the bad sense. No team looked worse than the Nuggets the first two weeks of the season. Even when they won, they looked bad. But they are starting to get it together a little. They're kind of the opposite of the Suns: I thought both teams would start slow, and get better. The Suns started much better than I thought. The Nuggets started a lot worse. Both will get better (which is scary in the case of the Suns).

What the Hell happened to these guys? Utah Jazz, Houston Rockets, Memphis Grizzlies, New Orleans Hornets

* Utah Jazz: They started out the season great...and man I don't know what in the Hell has happened to them. They look terrible. Now missing Kirlenko is a big blow, but the whole point of this team is supposed to be that they aren't dependent on one man. They're much better than they've played; it's weired. It's like they started the season knowing how to play together, and two weeks into the season forgot how to do it.

* Houston Rockets: Wow. I predicted people had them way overrated (ding!), and I STILL had them overrated (ding!). The big problem here: Yao Ming. Go into the October archive and read what I wrote about him in my Western Conference Preview, and thank you Yao for proving me correct. He's totally lost most of the time, and just happy to be here. And I think I would be the third most athletic guy on the Rockets; I think my baby brother Sam would be the third most athletic guy on the Rockets. (That's not good.)

* New Orleans Hornets: We knew they would be bad. But worse in the history of the NBA bad? Wow. That's bad when you cannot wait until Jamaal Magloire gets back.

Now for Coupla Things on the rest of the league...

* Let me check: yes, Marquis Daniels still scares me.

* Is it just me, or have the Celtics lost every single game either in overtime or by two points? I think they're a 20 point swing away from being undefeated.

* I've had several OSU fans get all excited after the NBA Tonight crew on ESPN went nuts on Tony Allen after he got a tip in dunk and scored 12 points the other night. Just a reminder: Harold Minor had some great dunks, and scored 12 points once or twice. I'm not saying he's not going to be a decent pro; I'm just saying let's not get too excited here.

* Kobe. Wow. Is there a more disgusting human being on the face of the Earth? Probably...but without question Kobe cracks the top 5. I won't waste any more time talking about him.

* Karl Malone: he's probably the NBA player I've hated most my entire life. I hate dirty, bitchy players, which is what he's always been. And now, after hitting on his friends wife, I have a personal reason to hate him, too! Yay! Am I a bad person for being happy about this? Naw...

* Mike D'Antoni is without question the Coach of the Year, right? And none of you have any idea who he is, right?

* Good for Jamal Crawford for playing so well (he's without question the Clutch Player of the Year), but I'm pissed that he's helping the Knicks win. Go to Hell, Isaiah!

* Watch out for the Pacers man. They're still playing well, even while missing all their good players...they're getting them back a little at a time, so they have time to work each person back in...they definitely have the "us against the world" mentality, and when a team REALLY has it (not faking like they have it, like the Sacramento Queens tried to do for years) that's a great thing...they get the craziest player in the league back for the START OF THE PLAYOFFS, just in time to scare the shit out of EVERYBODY. This is going to be fun...

* I've changed my mind: I love Shaq. I didn't like him when he first came into the league, and all he did was talk shit about how great he was, and bitch about officiating even though all he did was knock people down and dunk on them. Now, he's the last athlete left in the league who is totally honest in every interview, he's funny, and he's such a true Superman fan that he made the worst movie in the world--Steel--even when he knew it was the worst film ever (he did know that, right?). He still talks shit about how good he is, but not near as much, and after getting as many rings and MVP awards as he has, he's earned it. I'm sorry, but I have to admit I like the guy now.

* Lebron James is fricking unbelievable. Scary unbelievable. Fine I'll say it: I think he might be better than Jordan. No, I don't mean he will be better than Jordan. I mean I think he might be better than Jordan, right now. I can't believe I just wrote that.


And remember...the NBA...it's FANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNTASTIC!





4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I had just one game and had to pick between LBJ and MJ, I'd take any incarnation of Jordan (with the Bulls, as if that needs to be said) -- the 37 ppg young gun or the 30 ppg triangle killer. Whether it's Game 1 of the season, or Game 7 of the Finals, I just don't think you can even consider LBJ over MJ... yet, or maybe ever.

Over a career? LeBron would have to maintain a pace, BETTER than the tear he's on now, for at least a decade to even stand on a stage with Jordan to debate. That is absolutely insane.

Competition-wise? At the moment, LBJ won't be allowed to approach Jordan because of the current status of the Eastern Conference. Jordan took his losses, and bounced back to take down Larry Bird, Isiah Thomas, and the rest of the stacked 90s East. LeBron simply doesn't have those kind of players to dethrone.

And when he got done with that? In the NBA Finals MJ took down the West's Magic, Clyde, Barkley, Kemp and Payton, and Stockton and Malone. Is this even real? You can't make this stuff up.

And 72-10.
And 70-12.

As for him filling up the stat line.... I pulled up some of Jordan's better career years:
87/88: 35.0 ppg, 5.5 reb, 5.9 ast, 3.16 stl, 53.5% FG
88/89: 32.5 ppg, 8.0 reb, 8.0 ast, 2.89 stl, 53.8% FG
89/90: 33.6 ppg, 6.9 reb, 6.3 ast, 2.77 stl, 52.6% FG
90/91: 31.5 ppg, 6.0 reb, 5.5 ast, 2.72 stl, 53.9% FG
91/92: 30.1 ppg, 6.4 reb, 6.1 ast, 2.28 stl, 51.9% FG

Good luck with that LeBron...
and when you've got that done, bring home 6 rings against the members of Dream Team I.

The wild card in all this is that the kid is what 19 or 20 now? And he is without question, the #1 wing player in the league, dethroning Kobe Bryant in the course of 20 games. When ESPN.com puts up a poll, "Who would you rather have on your team, Kobe or LeBron?" And 83% answer LeBron, you have a new King of the Wing. But he's got a lot ahead of him to catch Jordan... in 1 game or 1 career.

-Nick

11:57 AM  
Blogger Michael Pondrom said...

Great comments as always Nick. The thing that impresses me so much is his poise. Jordan at the same age didn't have HALF the poise James has now. You are absolutely correct; Lebron still has a long way to go. However, comparing where he is now, to where Jordan was at the same time...it's kind of scary, is all I'm saying, because the question comes into my head.

Michael

1:46 PM  
Blogger Bo said...

I think the Wizards are legit(of course, I have Jamison on my fantasy team), at least as far as the East goes.

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I agree that LeBron has more poise at his age than Frosh Jordan. Part of that you can probably attribute to MJ. Jordan set forth this air of poise and business suits that has set the tone for how heir-apparents should act (see: Kobe pre-rape trial). And there's the whole "for marketing" reasons, etc.

The ability question at the same age is hard to gauge. There's that famous line that says, "The only person that could hold Jordan under 20 was Dean Smith." Few NBA rookies can average 28ppg their rookie year on 48%+ FG -- which MJ did. So you know he had the goods coming straight out of college. But LeBron in year 2 vs. Soph MJ (2 years away from 28ppg in the NBA) is probably a win for LeBron. He's got unbelievable vision and a body that is frightening.

But all this is just conjecture. Once LeBron hits year 4, you can start comparing his age/NBA-ability vs. Mike's.

I'm just glad he's on my fantasy team (you know I had to throw that in hehe)

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home